Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wyclef Kills it...




Okay now that I have recovered from the long weekend, I can share my somewhat old yet never outdated experiences over the long weekend.

Got an invite from MTN's fab Pondo 2 days before the show. Heard that Wyclef was coming to town but didnt really think I was a fan, let alone calling around looking for an invite if i didnt get one. Thanks girl...

I went along to the show and what a show it was. In fact one of the best shows I have been to this year. Finally a platform to compete with the Heineken Green Room Sessions. Damn we have so few options in this town.

Anyway back to the story. The VIP lounge was set up beautifully with the traditional Black and God MTN colours. Guests were new faces, few celebs and socialites. Nice to see new faces for a change. Loved it.

Thomas aka Bad Boy T Mc'ed the gig and Obita opened the live show.

The Wyclef Jean took the stage in a Red PVC jacket and Steve Biko tee. The crowd erupted in applause. He opened with a tribute track to the late legend Lucky Dube. This was followed by all his hits over the years (911, Dollar Bill and Two Wrongs), some Fugee tracks and a few collabs he had done with other artists.

I suddenly realised that I was indeed a fan. I knew all the words to every song. I jumped and danced around in my high heels singing at the top on my lungs with everyone around me.

After an hour of intense and energetic moves on the stage, Wyclef departing saying he would be back in his PJ's. A few minutes later, he appeared on stage with his bright yellow pyjama's. Unlike any artist I had ever seen at the Bassline, he took his perfomance off stage onto the stairs, in the crowd and even swung on the rails in the technical sound booth. OMG.

WOW, what a performer. I was stunned at this 38 year olds energy much like my own (he he He). He returned to stage with his shirt off. He can add sexy to his long list of attributes: Vocalist, guitarist, comedian, dancer, activist, drummer and general nice guy.

The show ended on a high note over 2 hours later with his request to the crowd to sing the national anthem. Be it he is real or not, you could feel he was sincere about what he was saying. He did the research and he spoke sense. Never did he mention that 'he was happy to be home'. Loved every minute of it.

Much love to MTN for the show. And much respect and love to Wyclef, a true artist in every form...

No comments: